Saturday, October 2, 2010

Resource Nurse...

The hospital that I do my clinicals at has a Resource Nurse, and this nurse has more training than the average nurse, they are basically just go from floor to floor checking to see if anyone needs any help and I got to spend the day with him.

We started off the day checking every floor to make sure things we going as expected for 0730 in the morning. We were in the ICU when the Code Blue rang out and guess what.... the resource nurse goes to code blues. So off we rushed down to the ER. Now a resource nurse does whatever is needed when a code is called (ie. start lines, chest compressions, give meds...) and because he had me with him, I was able to participate in the code. I performed chest compression on the man. Holy cow! that makes a person really tired really fast. I felt such a rush of adrenline. It was intense. However, once it was over I was shaking so bad. I couldn't believe that I just experienced a code. I just helped save a life. Then another man came into the ER and a code was called (I didn't do anything there). After that man was stable enough we moved him up to the ICU where the MD was going to put a central line in. When all of the sudden he coded again. Everyone rushed in and he was back.

So in summary I was able to participate in 1 code and witness 2 others. WOW! all these codes happened before 1000. So my day was packed full of excitment. However, I am not sure if I could do that day after day. Guess it's a good thing that I want to be a NICU nurse and not an ER nurse.

P.S. I am really sore from doing those compression. Yes I may be a little out of shape, but that man was huge and I had to push down far and really hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment